***This program is no longer being offered at the University of Minnesota Crookston campus ***
The best entrepreneurs are those who possess a solid functional knowledge of the business world, the skills and vision to inspire and motivate others, and the ability to navigate change and persist in the belief of their ideas. The University of Minnesota Crookston can help you strengthen your skills and expand your knowledge base while mentoring your enthusiasm and drive.
Entrepreneurial behavior is increasingly recognized as a critical necessity for growth of the economy—both here in the U.S. and internationally. The primary driver of economic growth is the creation of jobs by small businesses. UMC’s major in Entrepreneurship provides students access to education and training in skills and behaviors related to the recognition of ideas and potential ventures, feasibility evaluation, assembling resources, and launching of new ventures. Entrepreneurship grads add immediate value in any organizational setting, whether starting their own venture or serving an organization as an employee.
The field of entrepreneurship offers considerable career flexibility and opportunity advancement in many areas. A strong entrepreneur has knowledge of business development and finance as well as creativity, innovation, and drive. UMC students receive training and practical experience in entrepreneurship delivered by faculty who excel in mentoring students to their greatest potential. Graduates with a UMC Entrepreneurship major will have the opportunity to advance to positions of leadership and build rewarding careers that create economic and social value, strengthen society, and enhance quality of life on a global scale.
This program is also offered as...
- The underlying quality of a successful entrepreneur is the ability to create and develop sustainable business ideas and adapt to changing conditions. Students will learn and refine a broad range of skills including opportunity recognition, applied creativity, small business finance, and business plan and strategy development.
- As the applied learning campus of the U of M system, UMC hires faculty and staff who work to ensure our graduates can make an immediate contribution to their employer’s efforts. Our faculty mentors, staff advisors, and curriculum help students take control of their career by gaining a sound base of theoretical knowledge and a strong grasp of how to approach problems and opportunities in a fast-changing world.
- The University of Minnesota Crookston has a tradition of providing experiential learning, and its Business Department has long embraced an applied approach to course delivery, infusing significant “learning by doing” elements into its curriculum.
- Student exposure to these field-based projects enhances their learning and provides them the opportunity to start developing a network of contacts, further enhancing their options for employment in the region after graduation.
- UMC’s Business Department also offers majors and minors in Accounting, Finance, Management, Manufacturing Management, Marketing, Quality Management, and Sport and Recreation Management. Students may wish to double-major or select minors that further enhance their career plans. Another popular major that works well with Entrepreneurship is Communication, which is offered by UMC’s Liberal Arts and Education Department as both a major and a minor.
- UMC graduates possess a sound working knowledge of finance, creativity, and business planning, and they benefit from the real life experience of others. This education gives graduates a prospective edge in the labor market. Taken together, all these elements add up to an exceptional educational experience for students completing a major in Entrepreneurship at UMC.
Program Requirements & Curriculum
The demand for new entrepreneurs is essential for the country’s economic growth. Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), firms with less than 500 employees, comprise the great majority of private sector jobs in Northwest Minnesota. Entrepreneurship majors not only intelligently and astutely prepare to launch and grow their own business, but also equip themselves with highly transferable skills important to any organizational context. They also often have a special creativity and persistence that help them keep moving ideas forward.
Graduates of UMC’s major in Entrepreneurship will be particularly well-suited to employment in local, regional, and state economic development agencies. This is because they will have become well-acquainted with programs available to assist entrepreneurs and small businesses at various stages of development, and how to properly utilize them. This degree also provides a solid training ground for career positions in commercial banking, particularly at institutions that frequently utilize Small Business Administration (SBA) loan guarantee programs.
While it can often entail starting a new business, a career-track in entrepreneurship exists in nearly every industry or organization. Entrepreneurs work to develop ideas, create and refine products and services, and grow companies and industries. They sometimes, but not always, work for a family-owned business or for themselves, but many work within traditional companies and organizations. Entrepreneurial skills are valued in every industry, so opportunities are nearly endless.
Prospective jobs for Entrepreneurship graduates include:
- Small Business Owners and Franchise Managers
- New Venture Developers
- E-Commerce Entrepreneurs
- Sales Managers, Marketing Managers and Sales Representatives
- "Work at Home" Business Owners or “One-Person Firms”
- Business Consultants
- Commercial Bankers
- Business Reporters and Recruiters
- Fundraisers and Development Officers
- Positions in Research and Development
The UMC Online Advantage
The UMC Online Advantage
Earn a prestigious University of Minnesota degree in an affordable, close-knit campus setting. The University of Minnesota is one of the most comprehensive public universities in the United States and ranks among the most esteemed. As a coordinate campus of the University of Minnesota system, the U of M, Online offers access to world-class teaching, learning and research resources, as well as enhanced internship and undergraduate research opportunities. As a graduate, your diploma features one of the most respected names in higher education.
Individual Attention and Mentorship
You expect an education that not only focuses on your needs but also allows your talent and interests to shine through. The dedicated faculty and staff at the U of M, Online serve as true mentors, offering prompt personalized attention catered to an online learner. You will have the opportunity to communicate with advisers and other students by participating in discussions, and other interactive tools to give you an exceptional educational experience.
A Technological Edge
The University of Minnesota, Online allows you to learn anywhere, anytime. You will have the flexibility to access your courses 24/7 without having to worry about leaving work or home to get to class. The U of M, Online utilizes a broad variety of technological tools that make learning online easy! Employers consistently report that the U of M, Online graduates they hire are extremely well prepared for the demands of today's technological workplace.
As a University of Minnesota, Online student, you have the opportunity to study abroad! The U of M, Online through the Crookston campus has made it a priority to promote an understanding of diversity and global perspectives and to offer you the resources, programs and activities necessary for you to succeed in today's global economy. Our international recruitment efforts bring students from more than 20 countries, and our Study Abroad program offers more than 300 opportunities for you to study in 67 different countries. There are also numerous cultural activities and clubs to participate in. We offer many ways for you to expand your worldview, gain international experience, and make connections with people from across the globe.
Applied Learning and Internships
Learn and do! Online learners have the opportunity to participate in hands on internships. Our internship programs give you the chance to practice the principles and theories you've learned in your courses and make contacts with potential employers that are near you. The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) is also available to all students and allows online learners to design and conduct research as an undergraduate!
No Out-of-State Tuition and Transfer-Friendly
The U of M, Crookston is the affordable choice for anyone! Whether you live just across the border, across the country or on the other side of the ocean, you pay the same as those who live in Minnesota. We offer an incredible value that's also extremely transfer-friendly. Our staff will work with you to make sure your credits count. Our faculty advisers will personally talk with you about career goals, degree interests and review your records to develop a plan, and our transfer specialist will help make the process as smooth as possible.
Excellent Job Placement
The Crookston campus has a reputation for a job placement rate of more than 93% for students in their field of study within six months of graduation. Some programs on our campus have even a higher rate of placement.