The need for graduates who understand and have experience in global business is increasing. Individuals who possess skills to help streamline global pursuits of companies that trade, manufacture, or use contract manufacturing globally are in greater demand than ever. Many American companies are multinational, and it is essential for managers to understand the different political, cultural, financial, marketing and management systems that drive international business activities in the U.S. and abroad. These companies, including companies in Minnesota and the Upper Midwest, are looking to hire individuals who have knowledge of global business and who can support the company’s international production and marketing needs. The international business major at the University of Minnesota Crookston will enable you to develop the kind of global mindset necessary for opportunities in this field.
This program is also offered as...
- UMN Crookston was recently granted official accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). Learn why this accreditation matters.
- The curriculum is designed to broaden your understanding of global business operations with internationally focused courses such as business cultures and etiquette, business law, financial management, marketing, business management, and senior seminar in business strategy.
- Field experiences in international business can be combined with study abroad opportunities to enrich your education.
- Your studies are combined with field experience in international business, study abroad, or a foreign language requirement to broaden your understanding of global business operations.
- Opportunities to travel and study outside the United States allow you to develop skills to function in different cultures, societies and economic environments, and to understand a wide variety of international business practices.
- The curriculum allows you to incorporate subjects focused on your specific interests that may include marketing, financial management, supply chain management, technology services, human resource management, and many other traditional business support and leadership topics. We have 75-100 international students from 20 countries on campus. Interacting with them gives you the opportunity to perceive the differences and similarities of various cultures during your studies.
- Flexibility to consider elective courses or a minor from multiple disciplines so that additional specialization in personal areas of interest are possible.
- The International Business degree will provide you with a solid foundation in culture, etiquette, marketing, management, accounting, finance, and communications from an international perspective. Online and on-campus courses are designed to facilitate student interaction and enhance student learning.
- You will also benefit from applying your knowledge and skills during internship experiences.
Program Requirements & Curriculum
Positions in international business are primarily focused on the management of foreign nationals working in the U.S. or U.S. workers employed in a foreign country. Positions are also available to individuals who can advise on protocol used for international business negotiation intermediary . As a graduate you will find opportunities in supply chain management, operations management, human resources management, sales and marketing, financial management, as a contract worker, or as an entrepreneur. You may also work at federal agencies such as the International Trade Administration and the Foreign Service as part of the U.S. Department of Commerce. You may also eventually serve in positions as cultural advisors.
Salary Range: $44,000 - 81,000
- Work with nongovernmental organizations
- Cultural Advisors
- Multinational/Global Business Representative
- Import/Export Agent
- International Trade Specialist
- International Economist
- Foreign Currency Investment Advisor
- Foreign Sales Representative
Amber Oestreich is an overachiever. She holds two jobs, is pursuing her BS in International Business, and recently fit in a study abroad trip to South Africa. She shares how she juggles her responsibilities and what her future may hold.
“I absolutely love having my education online,” Oestreich says. “It allows me to have the flexibility to do my work in my own time and to explore topics that I am interested in more in-depth.” Read more >>>
The UMC Online Advantage
The UMC Online Advantage
Earn a prestigious University of Minnesota degree in an affordable, close-knit campus setting. The University of Minnesota is one of the most comprehensive public universities in the United States and ranks among the most esteemed. As a coordinate campus of the University of Minnesota system, the U of M, Online offers access to world-class teaching, learning and research resources, as well as enhanced internship and undergraduate research opportunities. As a graduate, your diploma features one of the most respected names in higher education.
Individual Attention and Mentorship
You expect an education that not only focuses on your needs but also allows your talent and interests to shine through. The dedicated faculty and staff at the U of M, Online serve as true mentors, offering prompt personalized attention catered to an online learner. You will have the opportunity to communicate with advisers and other students by participating in discussions, and other interactive tools to give you an exceptional educational experience.
A Technological Edge
The University of Minnesota, Online allows you to learn anywhere, anytime. You will have the flexibility to access your courses 24/7 without having to worry about leaving work or home to get to class. The U of M, Online utilizes a broad variety of technological tools that make learning online easy! Employers consistently report that the U of M, Online graduates they hire are extremely well prepared for the demands of today's technological workplace.
As a University of Minnesota, Online student, you have the opportunity to study abroad! The U of M, Online through the Crookston campus has made it a priority to promote an understanding of diversity and global perspectives and to offer you the resources, programs and activities necessary for you to succeed in today's global economy. Our international recruitment efforts bring students from more than 20 countries, and our Study Abroad program offers more than 300 opportunities for you to study in 67 different countries. There are also numerous cultural activities and clubs to participate in. We offer many ways for you to expand your worldview, gain international experience, and make connections with people from across the globe.
Applied Learning and Internships
Learn and do! Online learners have the opportunity to participate in hands on internships. Our internship programs give you the chance to practice the principles and theories you've learned in your courses and make contacts with potential employers that are near you. The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) is also available to all students and allows online learners to design and conduct research as an undergraduate!
No Out-of-State Tuition and Transfer-Friendly
The U of M, Crookston is the affordable choice for anyone! Whether you live just across the border, across the country or on the other side of the ocean, you pay the same as those who live in Minnesota. We offer an incredible value that's also extremely transfer-friendly. Our staff will work with you to make sure your credits count. Our faculty advisers will personally talk with you about career goals, degree interests and review your records to develop a plan, and our transfer specialist will help make the process as smooth as possible.
Excellent Job Placement
The Crookston campus has a reputation for a job placement rate of more than 93% for students in their field of study within six months of graduation. Some programs on our campus have even a higher rate of placement.