Sport and Recreation Management
If you want a career in a growing field that is ever-changing, fast-paced, and sport-related then consider a Bachelor of Science degree in Sport and Recreation Management (SRM). At University of Minnesota Crookston, we prepare our SRM students for careers with professional, collegiate, and community sport organizations. Graduates have the skills necessary to be part of an industry with a net worth over $422 billion.
This program is also offered as...
- The Sport and Recreation Management (SRM) degree is now taught online and on-campus. Couple this program with UMC's Coaching minor (offered only on campus).
- Sport and Recreation Management students gain work experience through internship opportunities and applied course work, making them work ready.
- The SRM program is ideal for transfer students with AS or AAS degrees, incoming freshman, and people currently working in the field of business.
- Inside the classroom, students gain practical SRM related experience through experiential learning projects and real-world case studies and scenarios taking place in the sport world right now. Outside of the classroom, students in the SRM program gain hands-on experience through job shadowing, networking, study abroad opportunities, and a required internship.
- Faculty engage students through their unique blend of academic knowledge and “real-world” experience. Our small class sizes allow professors to successfully share their SRM knowledge and experience.
- Students will have comprehensive working knowledge of finance, creativity, and business planning.
- UMC also offers a Sport and Recreation Management Certificate and is available to complete on-campus or online. Coursework in this certificate covers many different aspects of sport and recreation management: management and marketing as it relates to the sport industry, sport ethics, leadership, facility management, event planning, sport communication, psychological, and sociological aspects of sport.
Program Requirements & Curriculum
Program Requirements & Curriculum
To view the current Sport and Recreation Management BS curriculum, visit our catalog site:
View Sport and Recreation Management BS curriculum
To view the current Sport and Recreation Management minor or certificate curriculum, visit our catalog site:
Manager-Level Position with professional sports teams - $65,000 - 125,000
Entry-level positions: $35,000 - 42,000
- Account manager
- Athlete relations coordinator
- Athletic academic adviser
- Athletic administrator
- Community relations
- Compliance director
- Equipment manager
- Event coordinator
- External relations
- Facilities manager
- General manager
- Golf course manager
- Ice arena manager
- Marketing and promotions
- Product development
- Product distribution
- Public relations
- Publicity/media relations
- Sport agent
- Sport equipment retailing
- Sport store management
- Sports administration
- Sports broadcasting
- Sports information director
- Sports journalism
- Sports psychologist
- Stadium management
- Talent scout
- Ticket operations managers
- Assistant coaching
- College coaching
- Head coaching
- High school coaching
- Professional coaching
- After school activities director
- Boys club director
- Girls club director
- Summer camp director
- Youth program director
- Youth services provider
Semi-professional sport teams
Sporting goods manufacturers
Sporting goods dealers
Sporting goods stores
Sports marketing-related firms
Youth sport programs
The UMC Online Advantage
The UMC Online Advantage
Earn a prestigious University of Minnesota degree in an affordable, close-knit campus setting. The University of Minnesota is one of the most comprehensive public universities in the United States and ranks among the most esteemed. As a coordinate campus of the University of Minnesota system, the U of M, Online offers access to world-class teaching, learning and research resources, as well as enhanced internship and undergraduate research opportunities. As a graduate, your diploma features one of the most respected names in higher education.
Individual Attention and Mentorship
You expect an education that not only focuses on your needs but also allows your talent and interests to shine through. The dedicated faculty and staff at the U of M, Online serve as true mentors, offering prompt personalized attention catered to an online learner. You will have the opportunity to communicate with advisers and other students by participating in discussions, and other interactive tools to give you an exceptional educational experience.
A Technological Edge
The University of Minnesota, Online allows you to learn anywhere, anytime. You will have the flexibility to access your courses 24/7 without having to worry about leaving work or home to get to class. The U of M, Online utilizes a broad variety of technological tools that make learning online easy! Employers consistently report that the U of M, Online graduates they hire are extremely well prepared for the demands of today's technological workplace.
As a University of Minnesota, Online student, you have the opportunity to study abroad! The U of M, Online through the Crookston campus has made it a priority to promote an understanding of diversity and global perspectives and to offer you the resources, programs and activities necessary for you to succeed in today's global economy. Our international recruitment efforts bring students from more than 20 countries, and our Study Abroad program offers more than 300 opportunities for you to study in 67 different countries. There are also numerous cultural activities and clubs to participate in. We offer many ways for you to expand your worldview, gain international experience, and make connections with people from across the globe.
Applied Learning and Internships
Learn and do! Online learners have the opportunity to participate in hands on internships. Our internship programs give you the chance to practice the principles and theories you've learned in your courses and make contacts with potential employers that are near you. The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) is also available to all students and allows online learners to design and conduct research as an undergraduate!
No Out-of-State Tuition and Transfer-Friendly
The U of M, Crookston is the affordable choice for anyone! Whether you live just across the border, across the country or on the other side of the ocean, you pay the same as those who live in Minnesota. We offer an incredible value that's also extremely transfer-friendly. Our staff will work with you to make sure your credits count. Our faculty advisers will personally talk with you about career goals, degree interests and review your records to develop a plan, and our transfer specialist will help make the process as smooth as possible.
Excellent Job Placement
The Crookston campus has a reputation for a job placement rate of more than 93% for students in their field of study within six months of graduation. Some programs on our campus have even a higher rate of placement.
Academic Advisor, Online Academic Advisor
143-5 Kiehle Building
Assistant Professor, Honors Program Coordinator