Build on your experience and prepare for a leadership position to advance your career in healthcare with a bachelor's degree in Applied Health from the University of Minnesota Crookston. Do you have an associate degree in an Allied Health Career? A Bachelor of Science degree will prepare you for further professional growth and opportunities. This program is designed to enhance your management and supervisory skills in the dynamic field of healthcare. We deliver this program online and it can be taken anywhere, anytime to fit your busy lifestyle.
This program is also offered as...
- Flexible - Convenient for working adults and part-time students.
- Practical - The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 22% increase for medical and health services managers from 2010 and 2020, faster than the average for all occupations.
- Web Based - We deliver this program online and can be taken anywhere, anytime to fit your busy lifestyle. Earn a degree without leaving the comfort of your own home!
- Dynamic - Opportunities to connect with other students, qualified faculty, and health care professionals.
- Allied Health Focused - Program builds on your clinical associate's degree.
- Transfer Friendly - Professional advisors evaluate student transcripts and provide students with a complete pre-evaluation.
- Accreditation - The University of Minnesota Crookston is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and is a member of the North Central Association (NCA).
Program Requirements & Curriculum
Program Requirements & Curriculum
The Bureau of Labor Statistics states the following: “Medical and health services managers also called healthcare executives or healthcare administrators, plan, direct and coordinate medical health services. They might manage an entire facility, specialize in managing a specific clinical area or department, or manage a medical practice for a group of physicians. Most medical and health services managers have at least a bachelor’s degree before entering the field; however, master’s degrees also are common. The median annual wage of medical and health services managers was $84,270 in May 2010.” The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 22% increase for medical and health services managers from 2010 and 2020, faster than the average for all occupations. “As the large baby-boom population ages and people remain active later in life, the healthcare industry as a whole will see an increase in the demand for medical services. Managers will be needed to organize and manage medical information and healthcare staff in all areas of the industry.”
The Bachelor of Applied Health degree at the University of Minnesota, Crookston prepares students to assume management positions in a wide range of health care settings including:
- Allied health agencies (i.e. American Cancer Society, American Red Cross, American Lung Association)
- Community-based and home health agencies
- Government regulatory agencies
- Health insurance and Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs)
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Medical equipment and supply companies
- Nursing facilities, extended care and assisted living facilities
- Public health departments and social service agencies
Program Mission, Core Values and Vision
Program Mission, Core Values and Vision
The University of Minnesota Crookston Healthcare Management and Applied Health Programs prepare students for a career in healthcare management in various health-related settings. It provides the foundation for specialized graduate training and other career pathways.
Program Core Values
- Provide a program of INTEGRITY, based on qualified faculty and up-to-date curriculum to provide qualified and ethical healthcare managers for the growing healthcare consumer base.
- Ensure the online programs’ FUNCTIONALITY for successful learning experience for employed students.
- Maintain high STANDARDS, issued by the Higher Learning Commission and Department of Health.
- Provide an environment of ENGAGEMENT in the spirit of learner-centeredness, to enhance the University of Minnesota experience while participating online.
- Secure program MEASUREMENTS in order to gage success of outcomes and continuous quality program improvement planning.
- Create an assertive and forward-looking RECRUITMENT plan to provide students access to UMC’s Healthcare Management programs.
- Provide a curriculum that teaches and practices the INTERRELATEDNESS of various aspects of the healthcare business and partnerships.
The University of Minnesota Crookston Healthcare Management and Applied Health Programs are preparing leaders for a world of transitioning demographic pairing of healthcare consumers and workforce for healthcare delivery using technology, patient-centeredness, and strategic alliances.
The UMC Advantage
The UMC Advantage
Small Campus. Big Degree.
Did you know a degree from the University of Minnesota is recognized all over the world? True story. As a system campus of the University of Minnesota system, the U of M Crookston offers access to world-class teaching, learning, and research resources—all in a smaller, more personal campus setting that’s very much like a private school. The University of Minnesota is internationally recognized and respected by not only intellectuals and academic movers and shakers, but major employers who want to hire the best and brightest—namely, you.
Learning and Doing
At the U of M Crookston, you won’t spend all your time behind a desk. Our curriculum is designed around experiential learning, which means we want you to have as much hands-on learning as possible. Depending on your major, you’ll find opportunities to be in the field, the lab, the classroom, or engaging in simulated scenarios that give you a competitive edge when you enter the workforce or head to grad school. You’ll learn the concepts and then actively apply them through projects, field trips, site visits, internships, and interactions with professionals in the field.
Caring Faculty and Staff
Our faculty and staff members are respected not only for their knowledge and skills, but also because they care about you as an individual. They serve as true mentors, offering personalized attention through small class sizes, a student-faculty ratio of 16:1, and by working closely with you as advisors. They take the time to welcome you to the UMC community, watch you grow as a leader and scholar, and help you connect with alumni and other experts.
A Technology-Rich Environment
At the U of M Crookston, we offer every student a laptop computer from day one. Everyone is tech-savvy, wi-fi is everywhere and learning happens in many ways, including simulations, applications and video presentations. It’s a virtual tech-topia! So, when you graduate, you’ll have all the latest technology skills, giving you a competitive edge. Employers consistently report the UMC graduates they hire are their “go to” people for technology and are well prepared for the demands of today’s technological workplace.
Internships, Job Placement and Grad School
More than 87% of U of M Crookston graduates gain full-time employment in their field or enroll in graduate or professional school within one year of graduation. That’s a fact. We’ll sure miss you when you graduate, but we know as a proud Golden Eagle alum, you’ll want to come back to cheer us on at homecoming or catch up with your favorite professors.
Internships. They’re a great way to earn college credit, add to your resume and help answer the question, “is this really what I want to do?” You can find internship opportunities with everyone from the business down the street to Fortune 500 companies. Or maybe grad school is in your future. U of M Crookston students get the educational requirements and resources they need to apply to an array of graduate programs from veterinary science to med school to an MBA program. Many go on for more education in a variety of other fields.
Opportunities for undergraduate research also add real value to your educational experience by allowing you to design and conduct research while working alongside faculty mentors. Research experience is especially helpful if you plan to attend graduate school.
One-Rate Tuition and Scholarship Options
Whether you live in Minnesota, just across the border, across the country, or on the other side of the ocean, you pay the same tuition rate, and the U of M Crookston’s tuition rate is a real value because it’s the lowest of the five campuses that make up the U of M system. Additionally, with merit-based scholarships guaranteed based on GPA and ACT scores and more than 300 specialty scholarships, we really do help make college affordable.
Leadership, Clubs and Athletics
Sure, college is about classes, studying, and research, but another important part of the experience involves professional development, creativity, leadership, and service. And let’s not forget about fun! With more than 40 student clubs and organizations, there’s something for every interest. Best of all, if you can’t find something from the existing list, grab a few friends and start a new club. It’s really just that easy…
In athletics, Golden Eagles shake things up on the court, the field, and on the sidelines. The U of M Crookston competes at the NCAA Division II level in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) as well as the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) and offers a full range of men’s and women’s athletic programs.
A Diverse, Global Experience
The world really is a small place, and at U of M Crookston we value diversity. Our students bring rich experiences spanning six continents, and more than 20 countries and 40 states! We value diversity because it not only helps you better understand the world, it helps you understand yourself and how your piece fits into the puzzle of global society. Get involved in the many multicultural and international programs on campus, and you’ll see how easy it is to make friends from across the world.
Or choose one of our international programs. Study, intern, volunteer, play, explore – here or anywhere. Take your pick from more than 300 options in 67 countries. Don’t just learn it, live it.