Heritage Hall was designed by Michael J. Burns Architects, Ltd. and built by Community Contractors, Inc. in conjunction with several local and regional subcontractors. The building consists of 35 two-bedroom suites with study room and private bath for four individuals and 5 one-bedroom suites. It provides residence for a total of 145 students. Establishing a balance between work and play, the living environment is enhanced by the inclusion of a large, state-of-the-art classroom/multi-purpose room, lounges, fitness rooms, an art and crafts room, a recreation room, and study rooms. The building was completed in 2013.

Heritage Hall was built to a B-3 level of sustainability standards, similar to LEED’s Silver Certification and features three rain gardens. “Building Green,” reducing the carbon footprint, and addressing environmental concerns are a priority of students and the Office of Residential Life. Good design provides for student group activities as well as gathering space for friends and mentors, and it promotes a sense of community. 

Interested in living in Heritage Hall?
Learn more about living in Heritage Hall suite style complex.

Building Services, Offices and Points of Interest

Building Services, Offices and Points of Interest

  • Study Rooms
  • Laundry Rooms
  • Game Room (Upstairs) 
  • Lounge Public Areas
  • Fitness Rooms
  • Shared Kitchen Rooms
  • Peterson Lecture Hall, a classroom/multi-purpose room
  • Heritage Hall Classroom Lobby (Open 24 Hours/7 Days a week during the school year)

Building History

Building History

Construction began in late summer of 2012 and was completed in 2013. The building was dedicated on April 18, 2013, as part of the inauguration ceremonies for UMC’s fifth chancellor, Fred Wood. The dedication was attended by six members of the U of M Board of Regents and by U of M President Eric Kaler.

The name Heritage Hall was suggested by Rose Ulseth, an alum and member of the staff of the Office of Development & Alumni Relations. The name Heritage Hall suggests that something has been passed down from prior generations and acknowledges the rich history and evolution of the campus. It is meant to be inclusive of the various institutions that have shared the Crookston campus since 1906: the Northwest School of Agriculture, a residential high school from 1906-1968; the U of M Technical Institute (renamed the U of M Crookston in 1988), a 2-year college which opened in1966; and today's comprehensive University of Minnesota Crookston, which began offering bachelor's degrees in the fall of 1993. Throughout the building there are images and design elements that call back over the years this campus has provided educational service to the region and state.

Building Location Map

Building Location Map

Misc Info