Library Resources for HSM 4210 - Health Care Law and Biomedical Ethics
UMC Library provides wide range of library services to students and faculty. For information about the UMC Library and the services it provides, start at the UMC Library homepage. The Interlibrary Loan office can get articles you do not find in full text, and all UMC Librarians have suggestions and will assist you with your research.
Legal Research Sources
Many student in this class find using the law reviews search in Lexis a good starting point for research for this class. Nexis Uni has many resources for your papers. To get an overview of a legal topic start by searching Law Reviews, which is found under the Guided Search on Nexis Uni's home page. The law review articles generally give a good general overview of a topic and often cover specific statutes and specific cases.
Another useful Guided Search on Nexis Uni's home page is used for finding Cases. Once you choose "Cases" in the Guided Search, you will be able to choose between Federal Cases or State Cases, enter a search term, and a date limitation.
Google Scholar has an option to search legal cases. It can be used to find cases by name and subject.
Finding the text of state and federal laws and federal regulations
It is very difficult and tedious to search each state's law or regulations separately to compare provisions. You can find the text of federal material in Lexis under US Legal.
Ask for help if you have problems. Generally you can find this kind of research already done in a law review article. It is standard practice to survey the area before getting into the actual subject of a law review, which may be searched within the advanced search in Nexis Uni.
See also UMC Library Government Information page
Databases - Specialized
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition -provides access to nearly 550 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines. Coverage of nursing and allied health is particularly strong.
- PubMed - provides access to 10 million citations in Medline and other related databases with links to participating journals. UMC Library has enabled linking to the full text of articles from citations found by searching PubMed. The links use FindIt, the UMC Library Linking service
- MEDLINE - indexes journal articles in all areas of medicine, including dentistry and nursing. This is OCLC's version with indexing and abstracts and FindIt links to articles.
- Consumer Health Complete - resource for consumer-oriented health content. It is designed to support the information needs of patients, and to foster an overall understanding of health-related topics.
- Alt HealthWatch - focuses on health issues from the perspective of complementary, holistic and integrated approaches.
- Health Source: Consumer Edition - is a collection of consumer health information. This resource provides access to nearly 350 full text, consumer health magazines, including American Fitness, Better Nutrition, Fit Pregnancy, Harvard Health Letter.
Databases - General
Journal collections - Search as database
Periodicals link goes to the list of the UMC Library's major periodicals collections. It has a link to our list of UMC Print Periodicals and to the Find a Full Text Electronic Journal page to search for online access to a specific periodical title. Search by journal title, broad subject category, or ISSN.
ScienceDirect - Scientific, technical, and medical information from 1995 to the present. The print publisher is Elsevier®. The journals in the collection are listed with an icon indicating the journals to which UMC has access.
SpringerLink - provides access to some of the world's leading scientific, technical, and medical journals.
Wiley Online Library - Scientific, technical, medical, and professional journals, plus major reference works.
The UMC Library Catalog searches for physical books in the UMC Library. Once there, you can switch the view to include items at all the libraries at the University of Minnesota, in case you would like to use our GetIt service, or you can use the "Articles and More" view, which allows you to search our electronic resources at the article level.
Ebook Central - is an e-book collection with more than 150,000 titles from a wide variety of publishers, including many University Press titles and titles from Wiley, Kaplan, Kluwer, Random House, Springer, Taylor & Francis, and McGraw-Hill. It has an easy-to-use interface with simple searching and tools including personal bookshelves, automatic citations, highlighting and annotating.
eBook Collection (EBSCOhost) - contains a large number of titles from leading publishers. eBook Academic Subscription Collection (TM) supplies full-text ebooks covering a broad spectrum of academic subjects from business to science and engineering to the humanities.
Minnesota Statutes, Session Laws, and Rules
The Minnesota Administrative Rules for all agencies are available at the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota Administrative Rules site On the Revisor's general search page, the Minnesota Rules section offers a number of different ways to find specific rules. You can:
Links to Minnesota and other states' laws and regulations at the Minnesota Legislative Library.