When it comes to getting the right job or making the right strides in your career, it’s not just about having the right skills and experience. It’s also — and just as importantly — about having the right connections. LinkedIn is an online career-oriented social network with more than 530 million members. Your presence on LinkedIn can help you showcase your education, experience, skills, and strengths. It can also help you make strategic connections, and enable employers to reach you with relevant opportunities.
Discover the Power of LinkedIn
- Update Your LinkedIn Profile. The more effort you put into building your LinkedIn profile, the more benefit you will get out of it. Potential employers are likely to check your LinkedIn profile, so consider investing in a professional photo, and spend extra time on the 120-character subhead under your name. Tip the scales in your favor by carefully filling out the descriptions under each previous job title and edit carefully. A typo could do more to jeopardize your chances of being hired than lack of experience.
- Connect With Others. Start with people you know and branch out from there, using the “Get Introduced” tool. Don’t settle for the default “I’d like to connect with you on LinkedIn” message; write your own message.
- Be Intentional About Communicating. Keep in mind most LinkedIn users don’t log in daily (or even weekly). So you may need email to make personal contact.
- Stay Active. Be diligent about keeping your profile fresh, and about making new connections.
As your professional network of trusted contacts, LinkedIn gives you an advantage in your career, and can be one of your most valuable assets. LinkedIn exists to help you make better use of your professional network and help the people you trust in return.
Here are some useful links:
- LinkedIn Intro Video - Your Career Starts Here!
- LinkedIn Student Resources
- Building a Great Student Profile
- LinkedIn Profile Checklist
- Tailoring Your LinkedIn Profile to Your Goals
Networking & Job Hunting
- Networking Professionally
- Finding Your Career Passion
- Using LinkedIn to Find a Job or Internship
- LinkedIn Jobs Search Tool
- Conducting Essential Employer Research
LinkedIn Bonus Resources
- LinkedIn Career Advice & Mentorship
- LinkedIn Resume Assistant
- How to Recruit Recruiters
- LinkedIn Learning - Learn in-demand skills from industry experts!
Use the LinkedIn Alumni Tool
The LinkedIn Alumni tool is a great resource for exploring career paths, discovering top employment destinations and connecting with UMC alumni for advice.