DRC Grievances / Student Concerns and Complaints

Grievances involving an accommodation for a disability, or alleged discrimination related to a disability should first be brought by the student to the attention of Director of the Disability Resource Center (DRC). Concerns may include, but are not limited to, the provision of individual accommodations as identified in the accommodation plan, a needed adjustment to the plan, the frequency of the provision of identified services, use of assistive technology, or any of the services provided. Concerns are generally resolved at this level. The Director of the Disability Resource Center may  also assist the student to resolve concerns associated with a specific course, instructor, or other campus staff person or department.

If the concern brought by the student is not related to a disability issue, the student should follow the Informal Grievance Procedure as outlined under Student Grievance Procedures.

If the issue is not resolved in consultation with the DRC Director, the following procedure should be used:

  1. Notify the DRC Director via campus email that the concern has not been resolved to the student’s satisfaction. Reopen discussion to determine if additional options exist.

  2. If options for resolution have been exhausted as designated by the Director, the student should email the Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, Peter Phaiah at phaiah@umn.edu and request a conference.

  3. The student should meet with the Associate VC and discuss the concern and identify the desired resolution.

  4. The Associate VC will meet with the DRC Director and should respond in a timely way to the student regarding the decision. A conference may be held with the VC, the student and the DRC Director.

  5. If resolution is not reached, the student may request a meeting via email to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Barbara Keinath at bkeinath@umn.edu

  6. A conference may be scheduled among all parties involved. The Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs should respond in a timely way to the student.

  7. If resolution is not reached, the student may request a meeting with Chancellor Fred Wood via email at fewood@umn.edu. The Chancellor will respond in a timely way to the student. The decision of the Chancellor is final.

  8. If the student does not agree with the decision, the student is encouraged to contact the U. S. Department of Education or the Office for Civil Rights.