Frequently Asked Questions for Prospective Online Students

The University of Minnesota Crookston is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and is a member of the North Central Association (NCA).

1. Will my credits transfer?

Yes. UMC is very transfer friendly. To find out what credits will transfer into our online programs, send us copies of your transcripts for an unofficial pre-evaluation.

2. How do I know what classes I would need to take?

Once you are admitted to one of our online programs, you will be assigned an academic advisor who will work closely with you to ensure you are on the right path towards graduation.

3. What are the admissions requirements?

For admissions information please visit admission requirements.

4. When do classes start and how long do they run?

UMC’s online courses are offered on a semester basis. There are three semesters each year, a 15 week Fall semester, 15 week Spring semester and a condensed 8 week Summer semester (not including finals week). See our Dates & Deadlines section.

5. Do I have to be online at a certain time? What does an online class look like?

UMC’s online programs allow you to study at your convenience. Course outcomes and class deadlines for homework and tests are outlined in the class syllabi. Online learning is meant to be flexible and available 24/7. UMC utilizes MOODLE, Moodle is a learning content management system available to enrolled students to access, engage and participate electronically.

6. Can I qualify for some kind of financial aid?

Yes. Degree seeking students who are taking at least 6 credits per semester and who meet all other federal eligibility requirements, may be eligible to receive federal student aid. See our Finances section.

7. Do I get a UMC laptop computer?

You must physically attend classes on the Crookston campus as, at least, a half time student in order to qualify for a laptop.

8. Are your programs completely online?

Yes. The only time you will need to come to campus is if you choose to participate in graduation ceremonies on campus, although this is not a requirement to studying online.

9. How much will it cost?

Tuition information can be found on our Costs webpage.

*Returned checks are subject to a return check charge up to $30 per returned item.

10. If I am studying online, do I have to pay student fees?

Yes. As an online student you are required to pay the University of Minnesota student fee per credit as well as an online course per credit fee. You will not need to pay the traditional student fees you would accrue if you were on campus. In addition to tuition, the University fee and the online per credit fee, the only other cost you will be liable for is the cost of your textbooks.

11. Do I need to purchase textbooks for my online classes?

Yes. Most courses require textbooks. Books can be purchased online or over the phone from the UMC Bookstore. Financial aid can be applied toward their purchase if you request a student U Card prior to ordering your textbooks.

12. Can I set up a payment plan?

Yes. For billing and tuition inquiries please contact the Business Office: 1-800-862-6466 ext. 8325.

13. How many courses should I take at a time?

You can expect to spend as much time in your online course as the traditional campus course. We recommend new students only take one or two courses their first semester until they get used to the technology and online learning environment. More experienced students take 3, 4 or more classes each semester, but much of this is based on your job, family, and other commitments, as well as the difficulty of the courses.

A formula to consider is to allow 3 contact hours for each credit per week minimum. (ex: you are enrolled in one 3-credit course that is 15 weeks long; this amounts to 45 contact hours over the course of the semester. This does not include time for exams assignments or homework.)

14. Does the diploma earned from an online program look like a traditional diploma earned on campus?

Yes. Online courses and degrees are fully accredited by the University of Minnesota and are equivalent to on-campus courses and degrees. Your diploma will read and be awarded by the University of Minnesota campus in which you achieve your degree.

15. What does regional accreditation mean?

Regionally accredited institution of higher education means a community college, college, or university which is a candidate for accreditation or is accredited by one of the following regional accrediting bodies.

16. Is there a maximum number of credit hours allotted for financial aid if a student is working on completing a bachelor's degree?

Yes. Financial aid for students who have approached the maximum number of credit hours required for their bachelor's degree; if they have attempted 150%: "The regulation states 150% of credits required to graduate." Here at UMC, that number is 180 credits. Students are placed on warning at 150 credits. At that time, while working with the Financial Aid Office, the student can fill out the appeal form, for consideration and have a plan for finishing up keeping that 180 credits in mind. There is a limited number of exceptions when the committee considers an appeal and may approve the proposed appeal beyond 180 credits. Please contact Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships for further assistance and information.

Also see Frequently Asked Questions for Current Online Students