Office of Admissions
Future PSEO Students
The Post Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO) is a state program that gives students capable of working at the post-secondary level an opportunity to receive post-secondary credits while completing high school graduation requirements. This is an option for students to enrich the education they are currently receiving at their local public school, private school, alternative area learning center or home school environment.
Don't forget...PSEO is offered on-campus and online!
Step 1: Apply
STEP 1: Submit the Golden Eagle PSEO Application
Step 2: Assemble Additional Documents
STEP 2: Assemble Additional Documents
- Official high school transcript
- Post-Secondary Notice of Student Registration (2021-2022) form
- Complete and sign section 1 (a parent/guardian signature is required if you're under 18)
- Your high school counselor completes and signs section 2
- PSEO Advisement Sheet
- Your high school counselor completes and signs this UMN Crookston-specific balance sheet form
- Other College Coursework Transcripts (if applicable)
- Submit official transcripts if you took college credits which were taught outside your high school through a college or university (e.g., PSEO coursework during your junior year)
- Required even if grades are in progress
- Not needed for University of Minnesota Crookston credits (e.g. College in the High School [CIHS])
Step 3: Submit your materials
STEP 3: Submit your materials
- Official transcripts should be sent electronically directly from the high school, or mailed in a sealed envelope.
- Documents can be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to: Michelle Beeghly at 208 Selvig Hall, 2900 University Ave. Crookston, MN 56716.
- Due to COVID-19, staff are intermittently in the office to process mail. There may be some delay in processing mailed items, so we recommend submitting your documents electronically if possible.
**If you have already started an application with us and are unable to login or create a new application, please contact us at 218-281-8680 or email@example.com for assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is PSEO?
Post Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO) is a dual credit program that allows high school students to simultaneously earn high school and college credit through enrollment in and successful completion of college-level courses on a college campus or online.
How many classes can I take as a PSEO student?
PSEO students can be full or part-time. Students can enroll in 1 to 19 credits a semester.
Who is eligible to take part in the PSEO program at UMC?
An 11th or 12th grade student enrolled in a Minnesota public, nonpublic, home school or American Indian-controlled tribal contract or grant school eligible for aid under section 124D.83, except a foreign exchange student enrolled in a district under a cultural exchange program.
Can I take on campus classes as a PSEO student?
Yes. You can enroll part- or full-time, on-campus or online. You can find course offerings here.
Can I take online classes as a PSEO student?
Yes. You can find course offerings here.
What do you need to consider?
In class you will be treated as any other college student.
- You will have full responsibility for managing your time.
- You will be expected to meet deadlines without being reminded.
- You will be expected to complete work at the level of a college student/high school graduate.
- You will have to study more outside of the classroom.
What will it cost to take part in the PSEO program at UMC?
You will not be charged for tuition, books, or technology fees. These expenses are covered as part of your high school education. This also gives you the opportunity to take part in our laptop university, wireless access, and other great technological tools! Books need to be returned to the campus bookstore at the end of each semester. Transportation is your family’s responsibility. There are funds available to reimburse some of your transportation costs; however, there are federal guidelines stating who does or does not qualify for this assistance. Additional fees may apply to access other resources available on campus such as the Wellness Center.
Why work closely with your counselor?
You will be responsible for meeting the high school graduation requirements. Working with your counselor ensures that the college courses you take will meet those expectations and that you will indeed accumulate enough credits for high school graduation. You should be able to take courses that are comparable to those required for graduation.
If you find you must substitute a chosen course for another, or drop a course, notify your high school counselor immediately to ensure your requirements are still being met for high school graduation. Dropping a college course during the high school semester may put you in jeopardy. You may not be allowed to enter a high school class after a specified period of days and could receive a failing grade. If you have to drop or substitute a class, make sure to follow UMC guidelines when doing so.
What are the expectations of a UMC PSEO student?
- Maintain a UMC cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Make sure that all necessary paperwork is turned in on time.
- Remain in communication with high school guidance counselor and UMC academic advisor
- Attend all regularly scheduled classes.
- Attend all mandatory meetings throughout the year. These meetings will be announced well in advance. Failure to attend these meetings may jeopardize your registration placement.
What if a university course is failed?
If a class is not passed that is required for high school graduation, the student might not be able to graduate with his or her high school class. In addition, there will be a permanent university transcript which will record the failing grade. Keep in mind that a grade received for coursework here at UMN Crookston does affect your high school cumulative GPA.
Can PSEO students attend summer sessions?
Yes, however, all tuition, textbooks, supplies, and applicable fees are paid for out of pocket by the student and there are no State PSEO funds available during the summer semester.
Can PSEO students be employed on-campus?
Yes; however, PSEO students are not eligible to work in positions whose funding come from federal or state work-study. There are non-work study positions at UMC that are open to PSEO students.
What can I do at UMN Crookston other than be a “student”?
There are many things to do here other than take part in coursework! For instance, you can…
- Join one of the 45+ student clubs and organization
- Attend home varsity athletic sporting events
- Take part in intramural sports
- Enjoy free entertainment such as bands, hypnotists, comedians, and more!
- Make new friends and enjoy being a University of Minnesota Crookston student!!
Important to remember
The Minnesota State High School League rules allow you to participate in extra-curricular activities or athletics covered by the league at your high school. You are not allowed to play varsity sports at UMN Crookston.
Are there courses or programs that are not offered to PSEO students?
Yes, there are courses and programs that are not eligible for enrollment through the PSEO program. Please note that non-eligible courses and programs are subject to change.
How do I find out more about PSEO?
Contact your high school counselor or the UMC Post Secondary Coordinator Michelle Beeghly - firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-281-8256 if you have additional questions.
August 1, 2021
*Students must notify their local district by May 30th each year of their intent to enroll in postsecondary courses during the following school year. You may still apply for PSEO admission to UMN Crookston after this date.
*It is important to note that if you do not notify your school district by May 30th, the district has the right to deny your request which would make you responsible for covering the cost of tuition and fees to the college or institution in which you plan to enroll.
- UMN Crookston Contact for New PSEO students:
- Michelle Beeghly - email@example.com | (218) 281-8256
- UMN Crookston Advisor for Current Online PSEO students:
- Michelle Beeghly - firstname.lastname@example.org | (218)281-8256
- UMN Crookston Advisor for Current On-Campus PSEO students:
- Denise Greene - email@example.com | 218-281-8554