Do you like to plan, organize, lead people or manage resources? The University of Minnesota Crookston's (UMC) Management degree program prepares students to manage business firms, institutions, small businesses and other organizations.
- The University of Minnesota Crookston's Business Management program prepares, depending on the area of emphasis, future marketing, management, or aviation managers. It provides graduates with experience in marketing, management, communications, and current computer technologies. UMC graduates gain a solid foundation in business that prepares them for the many opportunities and challenges that exist in the new economy and the e-business age.
- Our distinct balance of theory and hands-on application, along with an applied internship, prepare you for a career connection.
- Students enrolled in UMC's Management program develop:
- Knowledge of large and small business operations
- Strategies in marketing, management, and financial considerations
- Effective communication skills for reports and business documents, personal networking, and professional presentations
- Experience in ethical business decision making
- Knowledge of business plan proposals
- Skills in analyzing marketing opportunities
- An understanding of local, regional, and global economic structures.
- Behavioristic curriculum that seeks to prepare students with a background in team dynamics, communication, innovation management, and a strong understanding of the cultural and diversity demands of managing
- An applied and technology rich teaching and learning environment with a strong emphasis on current managerial practice, the study of management foundations, real time case and business situational discovery, and domestic and global business exposure, that provides students with the computing and analytical tools needed to meet the quantitative demands of managing.
- Flexibility to consider elective courses or a minor from multiple disciplines so that additional specialization in personal areas of interest are possible.
- UMC has an excellent placement record for graduates in Management.
- We have professional, enthusiastic educators with industry experience who can give individualized attention to student needs.
- Opportunities to participate in the Business Crew (B-Crew) and ENACTUS, college initiatives focused on providing extra-curricular and co-curricular experiences outside of the classroom to enrich the exposures of all students with interests in business, regardless of their major. This is done through faculty supported events, planned and organized by students with a focus on personal and professional growth.
The Business Management degree is available on-campus or online.
- A Business Management minor is also available.
Program Requirements & Curriculum
Associated Clubs & Organizations
Associated Clubs & Organizations
- Small Business Ownership and Management
- Retail Management
- Human Resource Management
- Operations Management
- Market Research
- Sales Management
- Credit Management
- Product Development
Graduates have gone on to use the skills attained through UMC's Management program to find employment at many companies including:
- Northwestern Mutual
- Best Buy
- Wells Fargo
- Frito Lay
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
Mawaye Appleton, 2014, Brooklyn Park, Minn., it was much more than a visit to company headquarters. For the accounting and management double major at the University of Minnesota Crookston, it was a time she will never forget. See more...
Alex Buscher and Abbey Wemimo, students in the Business Management Program at the University of Minnesota Crookston, discusses their experience at UMC and the benefits they've found in respect to preparing for a career in business. Alex is from Merrifield, Minnesota, and Abbey is from Lagos, Nigeria.
Abbey II Wemimo, 2013 - A social entrepreneur and research analyst, Abbey hails from Lagos, Nigeria. His experiences at the University of Minnesota Crookston (UMC) have empowered him to devote to fight for the powerless, stand up for women, and never give-up on the hopeless. He is the president and founder of Change Africa, a nonprofit that manages a portfolio of expert projects and organizations in Africa dedicated to fighting poverty with education and sustainable free enterprise endeavors. Abbey is also the founder and project leader of the Clean Water for Everyone, an initiative that has provided clean water to over 1,600 people in four countries. He was admitted to graduate programs in both Columbia University and NYU, and he will be attending the Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service in New York University as a Dean Scholar with a 100% tuition scholarship studying the Master of Public Administration in Public and Nonprofit Management and Policy with an international specialization. Abbey will also be attending the PPIA Fellowship program at UC Berkeley in the summer of 2013.
Alyssa Jensen is a 2010 graduate of the University of Minnesota Crookston with a bachelor's degree in business management. She is originally from Rice Lake, Wisconsin.
Irma De La Guardia, 2010, originally from Panama talks about how she came to the University of Minnesota Crookston, studied abroad in China and pursued a bachelor's degree in business management. Read "The Understanding That Comes with Understanding" in the Spring 2010 Torch article.
The UMC Advantage
The UMC Advantage
Small Campus. Big Degree.
Did you know a degree from the University of Minnesota is recognized all over the world? True story. As a system campus of the University of Minnesota system, the U of M Crookston offers access to world-class teaching, learning, and research resources—all in a smaller, more personal campus setting that’s very much like a private school. The University of Minnesota is internationally recognized and respected by not only intellectuals and academic movers and shakers, but major employers who want to hire the best and brightest—namely, you.
Learning and Doing
At the U of M Crookston, you won’t spend all your time behind a desk. Our curriculum is designed around experiential learning, which means we want you to have as much hands-on learning as possible. Depending on your major, you’ll find opportunities to be in the field, the lab, the classroom, or engaging in simulated scenarios that give you a competitive edge when you enter the workforce or head to grad school. You’ll learn the concepts and then actively apply them through projects, field trips, site visits, internships, and interactions with professionals in the field.
Caring Faculty and Staff
Our faculty and staff members are respected not only for their knowledge and skills, but also because they care about you as an individual. They serve as true mentors, offering personalized attention through small class sizes, a student-faculty ratio of 18:1, and by working closely with you as advisors. They take the time to welcome you to the UMC community, watch you grow as a leader and scholar, and help you connect with alumni and other experts.
A Technology-Rich Environment
At the U of M Crookston, we offer every student a laptop computer from day one. Everyone is tech-savvy, wi-fi is everywhere and learning happens in many ways, including simulations, applications and video presentations. It’s a virtual tech-topia! So, when you graduate, you’ll have all the latest technology skills, giving you a competitive edge. Employers consistently report the UMC graduates they hire are their “go to” people for technology and are well prepared for the demands of today’s technological workplace.
Internships, Job Placement and Grad School
More than 87% of U of M Crookston graduates gain full-time employment in their field or enroll in graduate or professional school within one year of graduation. That’s a fact. We’ll sure miss you when you graduate, but we know as a proud Golden Eagle alum, you’ll want to come back to cheer us on at homecoming or catch up with your favorite professors.
Internships. They’re a great way to earn college credit, add to your resume and help answer the question, “is this really what I want to do?” You can find internship opportunities with everyone from the business down the street to Fortune 500 companies. Or maybe grad school is in your future. U of M Crookston students get the educational requirements and resources they need to apply to an array of graduate programs from veterinary science to med school to an MBA program. Many go on for more education in a variety of other fields.
Opportunities for undergraduate research also add real value to your educational experience by allowing you to design and conduct research while working alongside faculty mentors. Research experience is especially helpful if you plan to attend graduate school.
One-Rate Tuition and Scholarship Options
Whether you live in Minnesota, just across the border, across the country, or on the other side of the ocean, you pay the same tuition rate, and the U of M Crookston’s tuition rate is a real value because it’s the lowest of the five campuses that make up the U of M system. Additionally, with merit-based scholarships guaranteed based on GPA and ACT scores and more than 300 specialty scholarships, we really do help make college affordable.
Leadership, Clubs and Athletics
Sure, college is about classes, studying, and research, but another important part of the experience involves professional development, creativity, leadership, and service. And let’s not forget about fun! With more than 40 student clubs and organizations, there’s something for every interest. Best of all, if you can’t find something from the existing list, grab a few friends and start a new club. It’s really just that easy…
In athletics, Golden Eagles shake things up on the court, the field, and on the sidelines. The U of M Crookston competes at the NCAA Division II level in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) as well as the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) and offers a full range of men’s and women’s athletic programs.
A Diverse, Global Experience
The world really is a small place, and at U of M Crookston we value diversity. Our students bring rich experiences spanning six continents, and more than 20 countries and 40 states! We value diversity because it not only helps you better understand the world, it helps you understand yourself and how your piece fits into the puzzle of global society. Get involved in the many multicultural and international programs on campus, and you’ll see how easy it is to make friends from across the world.
Or choose one of our international programs. Study, intern, volunteer, play, explore – here or anywhere. Take your pick from more than 300 options in 67 countries. Don’t just learn it, live it.
112-B Dowell Hall and Annex
Teaching Specialist, Online Academic Advisor
143-4 Kiehle Building
Related Majors, Minors & Programs...
Interested in a double major or minor to complement your Degree? Check out these other programs at UMC: