The need for graduates who understand and have experience in global business is increasing. Individuals who possess skills to help streamline global pursuits of companies that trade, manufacture, or use contract manufacturing globally are in greater demand than ever. Many American companies are multinational, and it is essential for managers to understand the different political, cultural, financial, marketing and management systems that drive international business activities in the U.S. and abroad. These companies, including companies in Minnesota and the Upper Midwest, are looking to hire individuals who have knowledge of global business and who can support the company’s international production and marketing needs. The international business major at the University of Minnesota Crookston will enable you to develop the kind of global mindset necessary for opportunities in this field.
This program is also offered as...
- The curriculum is designed to broaden your understanding of global business operations with internationally focused courses such as business cultures and etiquette, business law, financial management, marketing, business management, and senior seminar in business strategy.
- Field experiences in international business can be combined with study abroad opportunities to enrich your education.
- Your studies are combined with field experience in international business, study abroad, or a foreign language requirement to broaden your understanding of global business operations.
- Opportunities to travel and study outside the United States allow you to develop skills to function in different cultures, societies and economic environments, and to understand a wide variety of international business practices.
- The curriculum allows you to incorporate subjects focused on your specific interests that may include marketing, financial management, supply chain management, technology services, human resource management, and many other traditional business support and leadership topics. We have 75-100 international students from 20 countries on campus. Interacting with them gives you the opportunity to perceive the differences and similarities of various cultures during your studies.
- Flexibility to consider elective courses or a minor from multiple disciplines so that additional specialization in personal areas of interest are possible.
- The International Business degree will provide you with a solid foundation in culture, etiquette, marketing, management, accounting, finance, and communications from an international perspective. Online and on-campus courses are designed to facilitate student interaction and enhance student learning.
- You will also benefit from applying your knowledge and skills during internship experiences.
- Opportunities to participate in the Business Crew (B-Crew), college initiative focused on providing extra-curricular and co-curricular experiences outside of the classroom to enrich the exposures of all students with interests in business, regardless of their major. This is done through faculty supported events, planned and organized by students with a focus on personal and professional growth.
Program Requirements & Curriculum
Associated Clubs & Organizations
Associated Clubs & Organizations
Positions in international business are primarily focused on the management of foreign nationals working in the U.S. or U.S. workers employed in a foreign country. Positions are also available to individuals who can advise on protocol used for international business negotiation intermediary . As a graduate you will find opportunities in supply chain management, operations management, human resources management, sales and marketing, financial management, as a contract worker, or as an entrepreneur. You may also work at federal agencies such as the International Trade Administration and the Foreign Service as part of the U.S. Department of Commerce. You may also eventually serve in positions as cultural advisors.
The UMC Advantage
The UMC Advantage
Small Campus. Big Degree.
Did you know a degree from the University of Minnesota is recognized all over the world? True story. As a system campus of the University of Minnesota system, the U of M Crookston offers access to world-class teaching, learning, and research resources—all in a smaller, more personal campus setting that’s very much like a private school. The University of Minnesota is internationally recognized and respected by not only intellectuals and academic movers and shakers, but major employers who want to hire the best and brightest—namely, you.
Learning and Doing
At the U of M Crookston, you won’t spend all your time behind a desk. Our curriculum is designed around experiential learning, which means we want you to have as much hands-on learning as possible. Depending on your major, you’ll find opportunities to be in the field, the lab, the classroom, or engaging in simulated scenarios that give you a competitive edge when you enter the workforce or head to grad school. You’ll learn the concepts and then actively apply them through projects, field trips, site visits, internships, and interactions with professionals in the field.
Caring Faculty and Staff
Our faculty and staff members are respected not only for their knowledge and skills, but also because they care about you as an individual. They serve as true mentors, offering personalized attention through small class sizes, a student-faculty ratio of 18:1, and by working closely with you as advisors. They take the time to welcome you to the UMC community, watch you grow as a leader and scholar, and help you connect with alumni and other experts.
A Technology-Rich Environment
At the U of M Crookston, we offer every student a laptop computer from day one. Everyone is tech-savvy, wi-fi is everywhere and learning happens in many ways, including simulations, applications and video presentations. It’s a virtual tech-topia! So, when you graduate, you’ll have all the latest technology skills, giving you a competitive edge. Employers consistently report the UMC graduates they hire are their “go to” people for technology and are well prepared for the demands of today’s technological workplace.
Internships, Job Placement and Grad School
More than 87% of U of M Crookston graduates gain full-time employment in their field or enroll in graduate or professional school within one year of graduation. That’s a fact. We’ll sure miss you when you graduate, but we know as a proud Golden Eagle alum, you’ll want to come back to cheer us on at homecoming or catch up with your favorite professors.
Internships. They’re a great way to earn college credit, add to your resume and help answer the question, “is this really what I want to do?” You can find internship opportunities with everyone from the business down the street to Fortune 500 companies. Or maybe grad school is in your future. U of M Crookston students get the educational requirements and resources they need to apply to an array of graduate programs from veterinary science to med school to an MBA program. Many go on for more education in a variety of other fields.
Opportunities for undergraduate research also add real value to your educational experience by allowing you to design and conduct research while working alongside faculty mentors. Research experience is especially helpful if you plan to attend graduate school.
One-Rate Tuition and Scholarship Options
Whether you live in Minnesota, just across the border, across the country, or on the other side of the ocean, you pay the same tuition rate, and the U of M Crookston’s tuition rate is a real value because it’s the lowest of the five campuses that make up the U of M system. Additionally, with merit-based scholarships guaranteed based on GPA and ACT scores and more than 300 specialty scholarships, we really do help make college affordable.
Leadership, Clubs and Athletics
Sure, college is about classes, studying, and research, but another important part of the experience involves professional development, creativity, leadership, and service. And let’s not forget about fun! With more than 40 student clubs and organizations, there’s something for every interest. Best of all, if you can’t find something from the existing list, grab a few friends and start a new club. It’s really just that easy…
In athletics, Golden Eagles shake things up on the court, the field, and on the sidelines. The U of M Crookston competes at the NCAA Division II level in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) as well as the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) and offers a full range of men’s and women’s athletic programs.
A Diverse, Global Experience
The world really is a small place, and at U of M Crookston we value diversity. Our students bring rich experiences spanning six continents, and more than 20 countries and 40 states! We value diversity because it not only helps you better understand the world, it helps you understand yourself and how your piece fits into the puzzle of global society. Get involved in the many multicultural and international programs on campus, and you’ll see how easy it is to make friends from across the world.
Or choose one of our international programs. Study, intern, volunteer, play, explore – here or anywhere. Take your pick from more than 300 options in 67 countries. Don’t just learn it, live it.
Related Majors, Minors & Programs...
Interested in a double major or minor to complement your Degree? Check out these other programs at UMC: